My Natural Hair Story…
This journey started about five years ago, precisely June 13th, 2013. I have always had long hair, so trimming and playing with my hair wasn’t the problem. When this trend started, it wasn’t about joining the bandwagon. This was an experimental phase for me, I wanted to go for something different and I hated having relaxer burns every time I relax my hair. I had a bad habit of relaxing my hair every month because my hair was thick and stubborn, not like it’s still not tough but I know how to tame my afro. Relaxer was my best friend back then but I can proudly say I have been Relaxer free since 2013- can I hear a hallelujah? I mean, It wasn’t easy.
The trick here was going Natural without breaking the bank. If you know me, Its all about being conservative. I’m not going to waste money on products that don’t even work on my hair. Don’t get me wrong, Its just a few that do the job genuinely. What might work for you might not work for me. I’m sure you all have watched enough Youtube videos that you could even start your own right now. Its alright, I was once in your shoes but I noticed that most Wash ‘n’ go i tried were Scams lol. Its so funny how simple they get their results but when you try it the same way, It ends up crappy and you have probably wasted a whole chunk of products that you end up rinsing out. How sad?
WHY DID I GO NATURAL ?
I wanted to try something spontaneous. So that’s why I did it.
I knew my hair would grow back If I ended up disliking it, but I loved it. My family/friends weren’t ready when I cut my relaxed hair because I play too much. I woke up one morning, looked in the mirror and decided it was time to get a trim. I had a scissor in my hand and the rest was history. I really didn’t cut everything off. C’mon, what do we have barbers for lol ?
I wore a wig to the barbers salon to get a leveled trim. He looked at me like-“You’re in the wrong place” but I knew fully well I was in the right place, so I sat comfortably on the chair. I told him to do his thing, I didn’t realize I still had the wig on. Then I took it off and I got a trim after so much confirmation from him.
P.s I transitioned for 2-3months. So it wasn’t so low but it was decent.
PRODUCTS I USE FOR MY HAIR
- Shampoo: Cantu, Tresemme, Natures gentle touch
- Conditioner: Cantu,Tresemme, Natures gentle touch
- Leave in Conditioner: Dark and Lovely, Cantu
- Oil: Coconut oil, Olive oil
- Deep conditioner: Henna Deep treatment
- Gel: Eco styler, moco gorilla snot gel
HOW DO I TAME MY NATURAL HAIR.
- Little manipulation: Stop doing the most with your hair, let the hair breathe. Be nice with your hair especially in a ponytail, don’t let it be too tight unless you would be losing your edges and we all know how hard it is to grow them back.
- Protective styles: Braids work well with me, I don’t have to think about my hair for a whole month and it helps my hair grow.
- Less products: Easy on the product application, stop applying so much on your hair at the same time.
- Deep conditioning treatments: This is great after taking out your extensions, it helps revive your hair with enough moisture. Use this after washing your hair and leave on for 1 hour then wash it off.
- Less heat: Stay away from flat irons and hair dryer. If you want to use a hair dryer use it on low heat or better still air dry. It might take a while but it keeps your hair healthy
- Trim your ends: Make trimming off your split ends a habit. Trim every 3 months.
Check out my post on: Being Natural
Follow me below:
Would you like more posts on my natural hair? How do you take care of your hair? How long have you been natural?